At a Glance
- A baby bodysuit (oftentimes called a onesie) is a clothing designed for infants that covers both their upper and lower body. They look essentially like a T-shirt but extends below the waist. They are equipped with snaps or Velcro in the crotch area, making changing diapers easier.
- There are different types of baby bodysuits: (1) snap-crotch bodysuits, (2) snide-snap bodysuits, (3) sleeveless bodysuits, (4) short-sleeve bodysuits, and (5) long-sleeve bodysuits.
- To find the perfect-fitting bodysuit for your child, you need to take accurate measurements of his chest and waist circumferences.
- The ideal bodysuit for your baby must be safe and meet US federal regulations and consumer codes. It must be easy to put on and take off. It should also be comfortable and must not constrict movement.
What is a Baby Bodysuit?
A baby bodysuit (oftentimes called a onesie) is a clothing designed for infants that covers both their upper and lower body. They look essentially like a T-shirt but has an extension below the waist. They come with snaps or velcro that allows them to be closed over the crotch. This allows caregivers to access the infant’s diaper for ease of change. Infant bodysuits come in various styles and can be worn as both undergarments or outerwear.
Types of Baby Bodysuits
Bodysuits come in different styles for every need or occasion. From sleeveless to full sleeves and sleepsuits, the choices are basically endless.
- Snap-crotch Bodysuits – These bodysuits have a snap opening at the crotch that makes it easier to access a baby’s diaper.
- Snide- Snap Bodysuits – This type of bodysuit comes with a side snap opening, instead of the usual crotch snaps. This allows for you to put it on your baby easily and without any fuss.
- Sleeveless Bodysuits – These bodysuits don’t have sleeves which makes them ideal for warm weather. They also make a great undergarment. They even come in flutter-straps for girls and tank-tops for boys. Pair them with long pants and a jacket for cold weather.
- Short-sleeve Bodysuits – This type of bodysuit is seen everywhere. Considered the basic type, they are comfortable and provide relative warmth for your baby. Flutter-sleeves look good for girls while some short-sleeve bodysuits come in polo-style for boys. Pair them with soft cotton pants for a cute spring outfit.
- Long-sleeve Bodysuits – The long sleeves in this bodysuit provides warmth for your baby during cold weather.
How to Measure Your Baby’s Bodysuit Size
Now that you know more about bodysuits and their different styles, the next thing on the list is finding the right baby clothing size. But before you can do that, you must first take your baby’s measurement. After you measured, you can look up the bodysuit size in the baby bodysuit size chart below. This is to ensure that you get the perfect fit for your baby.
First, make sure that you are measuring over your child’s bare skin or while he is wearing skin-tight clothes. Using a tape measure, do the following:
- To take chest measurement, wrap the tape measure under your baby’s armpits, around the fullest part of the chest.
- To take waist measurement, loosely wrap the tape measure around your baby’s waistline.
Baby Bodysuit Size Chart
Using the measurements you took, compare it to the baby bodysuit size chart below. Note that this is just the standard US size chart. Sizes may differ for each brand. If you are buying from a particular store or brand, it is better to use their specific size guide if available.
|Preemie||Up to 3 months||Up to 20.5" |
|Up to 7lbs |
|0-3M||0 to 3 months||20.5-24" |
|7-14 lbs |
|3-6M||3 to 6 months||24-27" |
|14-18 lbs |
|6-9M||6 to 9 months||27-29" |
|18-22 lbs |
|9-12M||9 to 12 months||29-30.5" |
|22-26 lbs |
|12-18M||12 to 18 months||30.5-32" |
|26-28 lbs |
|18-24M||18 to 24 months||32-33.5" |
|28-30 lbs |
Popular Bodysuit Brands
The following brands offer a variety of great baby bodysuits in high-quality. Be sure to check them out to get some great deals!
Things to Consider
When it comes to buying any sort of product for your baby (like baby shoes or baby sleeping bags), certain things have to be considered. In the case of baby bodysuits, here are some additional things you should take note of before you make your final purchase:
- Product Safety. Make sure that you buy clothes that meet US federal regulations and consumer codes. Although clothing-related injuries happen rarely, accidents still occur. Using precaution always ensures the safety of your child. Additionally, avoid clothes with small buttons or anything that is a choking hazard.
- Good Value for Money. Any parent would be tempted to buy expensive clothing for their baby. However, you can still buy high-quality products without suffering the price. Always strive to get good value for your money.
- Ease of Use. Think about how easy clothes will be to put on and take off. Dressing your baby can sometimes be a challenge. Choose clothing that has wide neck space or snaps and zippers in the front.
- Comfort. The baby’s movements must not be constricted because the bodysuit is too snug. There should be enough room at the bottom area of the bodysuit especially if the child has a large diaper size.
Care and Cleaning Tips
It is very important to observe proper cleaning habits when it comes to your baby’s clothing. This ensures that they remain comfortable in the clothes you put them on. Additionally, proper clothing care helps in making them last longer. You don’t want to spend on unnecessary shopping trips if you can help it.
#1. Read the label. It is always best to follow the care label of each clothing. Aside from the washing instructions, make sure to follow the drying instructions as well.
#2. Use a safe detergent. Use a detergent that is free of any fragrance, perfumes, color or dyes to avoid any allergic reaction. Make sure it is safe for babies. Once you feel you’ve found a safe detergent, stick to it.
#3. Spot clean stains. As a general rule, treat stains when they are still fresh. Use a mild detergent and rub gently with your hands before putting them in the washing machine.
#4. Turn fabrics inside-out when machine-washing. Do this to avoid surface abrasion. By doing this, you secure zippers, buttons, and snaps to avoid them from getting tangled with other clothing.
#5. Air them out if possible. Drying clothes under the sun helps in fighting bacteria build up. It also adds some freshness to the clothing.
Bodysuits are comfortable, easy and perfect for any baby. There is a reason why it is so popular for newborns. With different styles and designs, shopping for them could be a really fun activity. Now that you know what to look out for, I bet you couldn’t wait to put your little one in these adorable ensembles!