At a Glance
- To find the right baby shoe sizes for your child, measure the foot length from the heel to the longest toe. For the width, measure the widest part of the foot. It is best to measure your baby’s feet in the afternoon as they expand during the day.
- Typically, it is recommended to get a slightly larger shoe for your baby to provide room for healthy foot growth. Tight fitting shoes can hamper the healthy development of your child’s feet.
- Shoe sizing for babies is generally classified by age. Keep in mind, however, that baby’s feet grow differently. It could be smaller or larger for their age, or the recommended shoe size may fit differently. For this purpose, we recommend measuring your baby’s feet every few months. Then look up the size in our baby shoe size chart by age.
Baby Shoe Size Chart by Age
As a general guide, use our baby shoe size chart by age which shows foot measurement by a child’s age. This chart will work for most shoe styles and brands at the specified age whether they be sneakers, sandals, or boots.
|Age||Foot Length (Inch)||US Shoe Size||UK Shoe Size|
|Newborn||3.1 - 3.5|
|0-3 months||3.5 - 4||1 / 1.5 C||0.5|
|3-6 months||4.1 - 4.3||1.5 / 2 C||1.5|
|6-9 months||4.3 - 4.5||2.5 / 3 C||2|
|9-12 months||4.6 - 4.8||3 / 3.5 C||3|
|12-15 months||4.8 - 5.1||4 / 4.5 C||4|
|15-18 months||5.1 - 5.3||4.5 / 5 C||4.5|
|18-21 months||5.4 - 5.6||5.5 / 6 C||4.5/5|
|21-24 months||5.6 - 5.9||6.5 / 7 C||5.5/6|
Unlike clothes, finding the right shoes is more tricky. After all, there is no universal foot size for people even those sharing the same age, or the same height and weight. Each person has their own unique foot size. In the same way, baby shoe sizes are different and unique for each baby. A chubby, 4-month old baby in America, for example, might also have the same baby shoe size as a 6-month old Chinese baby. The most widely used baby shoes size worldwide is the US, UK, and European baby shoe size.
How to measure your baby shoe size
Just like when you’re trying to find the right shoe size for a child, you need a ruler or tape to be able to determine the correct shoe size for your baby. Your goal is to measure both the lengths and widths of your child’s feet. In case your baby can’t stand comfortably yet, you can lay a sheet of paper flat on the feet and use a pen to outline the circumference. Make sure to extend each foot fully while doing so.
Measure the foot height from the heel to the longest toe. For the width, measure the widest part of the foot. It is best to measure your baby’s feet in the afternoon as they expand during the day. After you measured, look up the corresponding size in our baby shoe size chart.
Baby Shoe Size Conversion Chart
When you are planning to shop online or at your favorite baby stores, don’t get intimidated by the different shoe sizing systems (e.g., European baby sizes). With our easy baby shoe size chart for conversion, expect that your buying decision will go smoothly wherever in the world you are. Let your baby enjoy the coolest or hippest pair of shoes you want them to wear, stress-free!
|AGE (months)||US||UK||EU||Foot Length|
|0-3||1 / 1.5 C||0.5||16||9.1||3.5-4|
|3-6||1.5 / 2 C||1.5||17||10||4.1-4.3|
|6-9||2.5 / 3 C||2||18||10.8||4.3-4.5|
|9-12||3 / 3.5 C||3||19||11.6||4.6-4.8|
|12-15||4 / 4.5 C||4||20||12.5||4.8-5.1|
|15-18||4.5 / 5 C||4.5||21||13.3||5.1-5.3|
|18-21||5.5 / 6 C||4.5-5||22||13.8||5.4-5.6|
|21-24||6.5 / 7 C||5.5-6||23||14.2||5.6-5.9|
Understanding baby shoe sizes
Using an infant shoe size chart will be the easiest way to figure out baby shoes size and conversions. Basically, EU foot sizing is different from the US and UK. A tip to convert newborn baby shoes from the US to the UK, you just need to remember that baby shoe or any other UK shoe is just one-half lower than its corresponding US size. For some designs, the difference could reach up to one whole size lower.
A European baby shoe size of 22, for example, is a 4 1/2 in the UK baby shoe size chart, and a 5 or 5 1/2 in the US size. The foot length for this baby shoe size is 4 3/4 inches and 12 cm. There are many baby shoes size chart available online to help you know the different conversions properly. But it is still advisable to check with the shop you’re buying from to be sure of the right sizes and conversions to use. And then, you may refer to online baby shoes size chart for easy comparison and conversions.
It is very important to take not of the right baby shoe size especially newborn baby shoes, as ill-fitting shoes often lead not only to discomfort but in some instances, other feet deformities that might affect your baby’s healthy growth. A child’s feet also tend to grow fast, so parents should watch out for it and check your baby shoes size using available baby shoes size chart or infant shoe size chart for the babies.
According to research, newborn shoe size tends to increase fast, and by the time that they are four to six years old, it increases by one inch each year. Newborns have very sensitive skin at this point, so parents should also look for shoes that have hypoallergenic materials and are warm on the feet.
No two newborn shoe size is the same even for babies born on the same day and at the same time. It takes a lot of research and a lot of tedious attention to details to find out your baby’s proper shoe size. While infant shoe size chart by age could now be found in many online references, it is good to measure the size of your baby’s feet regularly to anticipate the growth in your baby shoe size. This way, you will be sure that even your newborn will have the most comfortable shoes and the right fit as their little feet grows.
What needs to be considered when babies learn to walk?
Knowing that your baby can already walk is a milestone that is treasured and also documented through. But what comes next after your baby starts walking? You are right, a pair of shoes!
A durable and size-appropriate pair of baby shoes ensures no harm on their tiny feet most especially when they are outside or somewhere other than your home. Otherwise, allow your baby to walk barefoot to give those feet a room to breathe, stretch, and grow.
Is walking barefoot best for babies?
Health specialists would attest to the benefits of bare feet for all ages. Walking barefoot helps develop the foot muscles and ligaments of a child. It also increases the strength of the foot arch, improves posture and balance, and enhances proprioception. This is the capacity of being aware of one’s environment.
When they are still learning to walk, it’s best to go barefoot whenever possible. It helps them navigate their bodies on their space and to establish patterns of movement.
Pre-Walking Shoes vs. Walking Shoes
There are qualities of a good pre-walking or walking shoes that you should consider before buying them.
- #1: They should have a flexible non-slip sole with good traction as this will keep your baby from slipping as she gains strength at walking. Also, it should not be gripping on the ground because it is hard for her to lift her feet.
- #2: Baby walking shoes should provide support and at the same time should have appropriate padding on the heel, around the ankles, and on the inner bottom part of the shoes. This will minimize rubbing and at the same time provide comfort.
- #3: Baby walking shoes should have extra-secure closure to prevent the baby shoes from coming loose especially when your baby starts to walk.
Cleaning tips for baby shoes
Whether your baby has shoes with soft or flexible soles, there are tips on how to clean them. Besides, you don’t want to cause damage to these baby items, and you don’t want your hard-earned money to go in the trash as fast as that.
- #1: Spot clean with your hands using a damp cloth with a mixture of cold water and mild detergent
- #2: If shoes are very dirty, after washing, you can dab a soft tissue paper or towel in order to remove as much of the water as possible or any excess dirt
- #3: Avoid using harsh detergents and vigorous rubbing
- #4: Be sure that the soles are kept flat while cleaning them
- #5: Prevent submerging baby shoes as this may cause damage, especially when drying cannot be performed easily
- #6: Avoid machine wash
- #7: Air-dry baby shoes indoors and not in direct sunlight
- #8: Wipe and clean the soles with a soft cloth or a suede brush to retain its non-slip properties
Most popular baby shoe brands
Children are good testers, they say. They are honest and blunt, especially when they are uncomfortable or in pain. With these, you can easily figure out what shoe or footwear brands are at the top of their game. We have listed our favorite baby shoe brands worth checking out: Clarks, Bobux, Start-rite, Step 2wo, Crocs, Mothercare.
Latest trends for baby shoes
The footwear you choose for your child plays a unique role in their life. Apart from being cute and colorful, they should be comfortable, safe, and affordable. Look up the appropriate size in our baby shoe size chart.
As parents, you are surely enjoying navigating yourself through baby shoe collections for your child, especially when they are still infant or toddlers. These are the peak years of dressing them up to look cute and lovely. Today, there are a variety of fashion trends for baby shoes most parents are interested in. We have listed some of them below.
- Stan Smiths
- Boat Shoes
- Tassel Sandals
- Chambray Sneakers
- Embroidered Shoes & Sandals
- Waterproof Sneakers
- Boho Sandals
- Floral Slip-Ons
- Animal Socks and Booties
The 5 most common types of baby shoes
You are probably confused about what kind of baby shoes looks and best fits your child due to the vast array of options in the market. If you are looking for the right shoes for your child, consider the most common types of baby shoes we have listed below.
- Slip-on Shoes or Booties: These type of shoes are ideal for newborn babies because they are easy to put on while providing warmth for your baby’s toes.
- Soft Leather Shoes: Leather shoes for babies are available with soft or hard soles. Depending on the flexibility and motor skills of your child, soft sole baby shoes are more appropriate while they are very young while hard soles suit them when they grow older.
- Boots: You should include baby boots in your baby’s wardrobe. They are not just fashion statements, but they come in handy in cold areas keeping your baby warm and protected from the low temperature.
- Dressy or Formal Shoes: You’ll never get wrong purchasing dressy or formal shoes for your child especially when a formal occasion calls for it. With many options in the market, you can find shoes with soft or hard soles that will match the style of your child.
- Skid-proof Shoes: These type of shoes are very important especially when your baby starts to walk while keeping them to stay on their feet as they start exploring what is around them.