At a Glance
- Clothing sizes for kids is usually based on age. Some brands however opt to use height as a size guide. To find the perfect fit for your little girl, having accurate measurements of chest, waist, hip, inseam, and height comes in handy.
- Girls clothing sizes are further classified into three types: (1) standard sizes, (2) big girls sizes, and (3) slim sizes. Check with the brand the sizing standard they use to know the size fit for your child.
- Different countries follow their own sizing standards when it comes to clothing. In the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, and many Asian countries, clothing sizes for girls are mainly based on age. In Europe, girls’ clothes sizes are based on a child’s height in centimeters. However, some brands uses their own internal sizing guide so it is still recommended to check before buying.
Girls Clothing Size Chart
|General Size||US Size||Height|
Girls Shirt and Dresses Size Chart
Girls Pants and Jeans Size Chart
Measurement Guide for Girl’s Clothes
There is no one rule for finding the right sizing guide for girls clothing. It’s not an exact science as different countries and different brands tend to adapt various measurements which could be confusing.
Just because your little girl is a size 10 in one clothing brand doesn’t mean she can wear the same size in all other brands. Most girls’ clothing sizing guides are based on age, although others use height as basis for sizing. However, some brands are more detailed, providing specific body measurements for a particular size label. So to find the perfect-fitting clothes or shoes for your little girl, knowing their body measurements is very important. Knowing the measurement used by the brand could also save you time and effort when buying clothes and other apparel.
How to Measure Your Little Girls Size
- Chest: Ask your child to stand in an upright position with both hands on their sides. Put the measuring tape around the fullest part of your daughter’s chest, adding an extra inch to allow movement and comfort. For jackets, you may add few more inches depending on the fit that you prefer.
- Waist: Put the measuring tape around the smallest part of your child’s waist. It is usually found near the belly button area.
- Hips: Wrap the tape measure around the fullest part of your child’s hips. You may choose to add an extra inch depending on your preferred fit.
- Inseam: Position the tape measure from the groin area and stretch it all the way to your daughter’s ankle.
- Height: To measure the most accurate height, make sure that your little girl is barefoot and standing straight possibly leaning against a wall. Start measuring from the highest point of her head all the way to the bottom of her toes.
Once you have your child’s body measurements, you may start using the size guides below to know more about your little girl’s clothing size. If you also need help with boys sizes, click here.
If you’re planning on buying your child a shirt or a dress, you need to take note of her chest, waist, and hip measurements. For pants or jeans, you need measurements of her waist, hips, and inseam. Regularly update your record of your child’s measurements and keep the details handy in your phone or wallet so you can easily retrieve it every time you go shopping.
International Conversion of Girls Sizes
With the advent of the internet and the boom of e-commerce and online shopping, buying clothes from other places around the world is now possible in just a few clicks. But as much as it gives us more options, it also creates more challenge in finding the right size with different sizing standards used and sometimes, more challenge when a specific brand uses their own internal sizing standards.
In general, clothing for girls in the United States, UK, Australia, Korea and Mexico are mainly based on age. In Europe, China and Japan, sizes are based on a child’s height. Other countries such as Thailand, India and Vietnam uses a different scale of measurement.
International Conversion Chart for Girls Clothing
Finding the Right Shoe Size for Your Little Girl
As much as clothes, shoes are always on the list for shopping for the latest fashion trend for your child. And just like clothes, shoes also tend to follow different sizing measurements which makes buying the right fit challenging.
To help you out, it is important to measure your child’s shoe size first. And good news, you can do these simple steps at the comfort of your home.
- With a pen and paper, trace your child’s foot on a sheet of paper.
- Make sure to mark the highest point of her toe to the farthest edge of her heel.
- Record the measurement between these two points in both inches and centimeters and refer to our shoe size chart provided below to find your little girl’s corresponding shoe size.
Shoe Size Chart for Your Little Girl (General)
|US Size||UK||EU||Mexico||Australia||Foot Length|
Is There a Universal Size Standard for Girls’s Clothing?
The answer is no, there is none. Buying clothes and shoes for your little girl can be fun and exciting but it also requires some preparation and knowledge about the different sizing standards available.
Size charts are not universal, although you can refer to a generic size charts to get the best estimates, it does not guarantee that you’ll get the best fit every time. It is still best to buy clothes with your child in tow to have them fit it right away, but for buying online, knowing your child’s body measurements, a size guide chart and asking the store for their sizing could go a long way in finding the best fit for your little girl.